The MEPSI Expert Committee is a member body that collectively has knowledge of every facet of Mexico's philately. If you have a stamp or cover and are unsure of its origin or whether it is fake or genuine, contact the Expert Committee for their opinion.
IMPORTANT NOTICE!! The Expert Committee has a policy of a minimum fee of $50 per package, so please send at least two items at a time or send the minimum fee.
The Expert Committee mailing address has changed. Effective immediately the new address is:
PO Box 33387
Applications will be processed for members and non-members alike. If you would like to receive blank applications in the mail send a request to the address listed below. You may also download the application form below. Include a self-addressed stamped envelope for the return of the applications. Each application is an 8½ X 11 piece of paper and a SASE with only first class postage may accommodate only up to two applications. If you wish more be sure an apply sufficient postage. The Administrator will provide a number of applications in accordance with the postage amount placed on the SASE. Requests from foreign countries will also be accepted. If you have no US stamps for the SASE, be sure and enclose cash in the desired amount in US currency or with a check to be drawn on a US bank. Foreign stamps (unless rare) and currency will be returned only after receiving a SASE to accommodate the uninsured weight. Mail to the EC and returned from the EC are all at your risk unless it is a letter requesting Expertization, then the rules printed in the MEPSI Application for Expertization will apply.
Exact payment must accompany each and every application, the structure for fees is imprinted on all applications. Or you may review the current fees below.
Requests for quantities of application forms greater than 25 will be declined unless you state a case in your cover letter that suggests a need. If you need a greater quantity, then consider downloading and printing the applications using the links below.
FEES FOR EXPERTIZATION BY THE MEPSI EXPERT COMMITTEE
|FEE FOR EACH ITEM
Item, Value up to $1,000
Item, Value greater than 1,000 to $1,500
Item, value $1,500.01 - $2,000
Item, value $2,000.01 - $2,500
Item, value over $2,500
|2% of declared value
|MINIMUM CHARGE PER PACKAGE IS
$50 SO PLEASE SEND AT LEAST TWO STAMPS FOR EXPERTIZING
UNLESS INDIVIDUAL STAMP VALUE IS OVER $2000.00 OR ELSE
DOMESTIC MAILING FEE IS INCLUDED
|INTERNATIONAL MAIL FEE
Restricted to $15,000 insured value per shipment. Shipment by DHL or FedEx
|Proper fees should accompany the application. Payment should be by check in US dollars drawn on a US bank or, if cash, in US dollars.
To download a MEPSI Application for Certificate of Opinion form, click on the links below.
Make sure to download both sides, and to print both sides when submitting your application.
The Committee will reject any applications that are incomplete.
HINTS for Filling Out Applications
When submitting material to the MEPSI Expert Committee, here are some hopefully useful hints that will aid in expediting your material.
1) Make sure that your application is completely filled in. The required fields that must be completed on the application are all located on the front page. Fill in the date that you complete the form. Make sure to fill in the center section, the "Year Issued", "Denomination", Color (ink/paper), a catalog number "Cat. No." and the catalog you use "Catalog (Scott, Follansbee, etc.). Make sure to include a "FAIR MARKET VALUE or PURCHASE PRICE" we need this information for insurance purposes (if you do not declare it then we will assume that you consider it worthless and it will be insured for that amount). Provide a brief description and tell us what you wish to know about the item.
2) Make sure to enclose payment. If payment is not in the envelope, your application and item will be placed into the safe until payment arrives. We do not invoice for services rendered. If you are in doubt whether your application is in process or for any reason you wish a status, contact the Administrator. If you include a valid email on the application, or if your email is on record with MEPSI, then the Administrator will attempt to contact you and advise that you must submit payment.
3) Read the payment schedule on the application carefully. A short payment is as bad as no payment at all, and your material will be placed into the safe and we will await the amount necessary for full payment.
4) When submitting covers, keep in mind that it is often impossible for the MEPSI Expert Committee to make judgments regarding watermarks or back printed stamps. The Committee will not remove your stamp from the cover. At your discretion, you may choose to remove the stamp yourself before submitting it for opinion. But if the cover arrives with the stamps fully secured, then the Committee will do its best to try to determine the state of any watermarks or back printing. Keep in mind that it is sometimes very difficult to detect certain watermarks in the best of conditions, so do not expect miracles in the worst of conditions. If a stamp is still affixed to the envelope and you request a certificate for an unwatermarked variety, the Expert Committee will NOT issue such a certificate. You will receive a certificate stating that "it is either [a watermarked variety] or an [unwatermarked variety]". Same goes for back phosphorescence and moire printing (etc.).
5) Do not attempt to put multiple items on a single application. If this is done, the Committee will, at their discretion, select one of the items and process it leaving the other unprocessed. Each item requires a separate application.